There are many who unfortunately suffer from brain tumor. The physicians after diagnosing this ailment may suggest them to undergo brain tumor operation. This surgical procedure is performed for eliminating the tumor that has developed in the brain region. The procedure rather involves diminishing the pressure that has been developing in the brain. Brain tumor surgery is considered to be the primary treatment from available to the patients. Tumor is removed through this procedure, be it in full or partial. The surgery can be stated to b the initial step towards treating malignant as well as the beginning stages of tumor. It is regarded to be a widely approached treatment procedure globally. Tumor can be eliminated without the patient facing neurological damage risk.
Brain tumor surgical types
The best Brain Tumor Surgery India performed is of various types. Some commonly performed ones are mentioned below:
- Craniotomy: It is a surgical procedure that is performed to eliminate a skull portion. Doing so helps the neurosurgeon to diagnose and eliminate the tumor. After surgery, the removed portion gets replaced.
- Biopsy: This is a surgery that is performed for eliminating sample of the tumor tissue.
- Debulking: This surgical procedure is carried out to diminish the tumor’s size.
- Craniectomy: This surgery is quite similar to that of craniotomy. However, the only difference noticed here is that the skull portion that is removed does not get replaced.
- Complete removal: Here, entire tumor is removed through surgery.
- Partial removal: The surgery performed removes just a portion of the tumor. This can be due to neurological disorder risks.
- Ommaya reservoir: There is a small container that is inserted within the scalp region and connected to the tube. Container is used for the following:
- Eliminate cystic fluid without the need for surgery.
- Eliminate CSF for identifying healthy cell presence.
- Provide chemotherapy procedure to the brain as well as the surrounding CSF (cerebrospinal fluid).
- Shunt: Drainage system insertions have been designed to allow easy moving of excess fluid to the other body parts from the brain.
- Transsphenoidal surgery: It is a surgical procedure that is carried out to operate on the craniopharyngiomas and pituitary adenomas.
- Skull based surgery: This belongs to the tumor region for which a specialized technique is used for removing tumors.
- Laser interstitial thermal therapy: This is a minimal invasive procedure of ablating heat and tissues. It is regarded to be a safe and efficient technique used until now. Also it requires minimal invasion for recurrent or primary as well as metastatic tumors located anywhere within the brain.
On successful completion of the procedure, the recovery time generally depends upon the following:
- Patient’s overall health and age
- Areas of brain that are affected by the surgery
- Part of brain pertaining to location of tumor
- Whole operation conducted
Doing some research will help the person to know more about the procedure and enjoy its benefits.