Bhopal is one of the most colorful places in India. This city decks up in a completely new light during the festivals that are celebrated all throughout the year.
If you want to witness some of the most famous festivals of Bhopal, then you will have to plan your trip accordingly. You will need good hotels in Bhopal to stay during the time of the festivals, and hence, it is best if you get your bookings done beforehand since a lot of people come to this city during the time of its most important festivals.
Though Bhopal is majorly a Hindu state, it also has a significant number of Muslim people living here. Hence, you will get to witness Hindu as well as Muslim festivals being celebrated here with equal grandeur! Let’s take a look at some of the most important festivals that are celebrated in Bhopal:
- Ijtima: It is probably the most important festival that is celebrated in Bhopal. Ijtima is mainly a congregation of Muslim pilgrims who meet every year. This is the second largest gathering of Muslims in the world, after the Hajj. Originally this gathering was held at the Taj-ul-Masajid, but in recent years it is held at Ghasipura, which is just a few kilometers away from the city. A large fair is also organized near the place of congregation where various kinds of goods at extremely pocket-friendly prices are sold. This is not just a festival for the Muslims of Bhopal, but people from other religious communities also join the celebrations.
- Bhopal Mahotsav: The M.P State Handicrafts Development Corporation Ltd organizes a festival known as the Bhopal Mahotsav. The Gohar Mahal is the place, where this festival is organized on a yearly basis. This is held during the month of February. The star attractions of this festival are the food and cultural performances that are very typical of Bhopal.
- Diwali: The festival of lights is celebrated with great pomp in the city of Bhopal, like throughout the country. Diwali is generally celebrated sometime between the months of October and November. There is always a great rush during this time of the year, and hence, it is always better to get to know Noor us Sabah hotel Bhopal tariff and book your room beforehand. The entire city decks up in lights and people burst cracker and exchange sweets and pleasantries in the evening.
- Dussehra: This is a festival that marks the victory of Ram over Ravana in the epic battle mentioned in Ramayana. On this day effigies of Ravana are burnt across the city to mark the victory of good over evil. Bhopal is particularly famous for the Ram Lila performances that are organized during this time. Ram Lila is mainly a few enactments done from various episodes of the Ramayana.
- Navratri: Another important festival of Bhopal is the Navratri, which is nine days long festival. People dress up in new and colorful clothes and celebrate the power of Goddess Durga.
If you want to enjoy any one of the above festivals in Bhopal, then do make sure that you get your booking done in advance!