The net is abuzz every day with contrasting information about nutritional value of various types of food items. One day, coconut oil is a villain and on another day, it is highly healthy food, personified.
To understand the value of rice, particularly best basmati rice, it is good to consider its nutritional content as follows:
Many fashionable diets stress on the evil effect of carbohydrates and recommend low- carb diet. But it is an inescapable fact that carbs are the most crucial fuel for building up muscles and are integral element of a healthy, well balanced diet. All rice is a version of complex carbohydrates which gives a full feeling for a long time and is a regular, steady supplier of energy.
To follow a healthy diet, fat must consist of the lowest part of your diet’s nutrient content. Rice is low in cholesterol and fat and so can constitute a vital part of your diet. Brown rice consists of more healthy fats like monounsaturated fats. But both white and brown rice have very lowsaturated (bad)fat.
Rice contains eight of the essential amino-acids, which provide the crucial building blocks for repairing and developing muscles. Basmati rice is mostly known for its rich carbohydrate content, though it is one of the best sources for high value proteins.
Gluten content in food can cause problems for those who have digestion issues with gluten andalso, the elderly, the sick and infants. Rice happens to be one of the rare grains and cereals, which is free of gluten. This makes rice like Basmati perfect for gluten-free diets.
Fibre has many health benefits like protecting the body from diseases of the large intestine, colon, and bowel cancer as well as coronary cardiac diseases. Brown basmati rice is rich in insolublefibre.
GI gives an indication of how food items affect levels of blood sugar. Low blood sugar levels are maintained by foods with low to medium glycaemic indices. They also suppress appetite. The low, average levels of insulin also help in burning of more fat as a source of more fuel. Thus, rice with low glycaemic index like traditional basmati riceis ideal for patients with diabetes.
- Content of salt:
Experts recommend limiting daily salt intake to 6 gm for a balanced diet. A cup of Basmati rice provides 5 % to 18% of your recommended daily value (RDV).
Here is a recipe for rice- Shrimp Fried Rice:
- Peanut oil- 1 and a half tbsp.
- Minced garlic cloves-2
- Minced scallions-3
- Peeled, grated fresh ginger-1 tsp
- Cooked, cooled brown rice- 2 cups
- Peeled, cooked, de-veined, fresh and large shrimp-1/2 lb
- Beaten eggs-2, large
- Thawed, frozen peas-1/2 cup
- Low sodium soya sauce- 2 tbsp.
- Take a large skillet, add 1 tbsp. of peanut oil and heat on high levels.
- Add ginger, garlic, and scallions. Stir fry for half a minute.
- Lower heat to medium. Add brown rice and fry while stirring for 2 minutes. Large chunks of rice must be broken.
- Add cooked shrimp and fry for 2 minutes.
- In another skillet, heat rest of peanut oil on medium level.
- Add the eggs and scramble such that they become small pieces.
- Add peas and eggs to the rice mix and fry for half a minute.
- Add soya sauce and fry some more.
- Serve hot.
These are some aspects about rice like Basmati rice.