The rooftop of a building is one of the most important segments of the building, as it is the first portion to be exposed to dust, pollution, climatic changes, etc. If the roof of a home starts getting damaged, it can severely affect the durability foundation of the entire house. Plus, it can also put many lives at risk. For this reason, waterproofing your roof is extremely essential, and there are several methods and techniques that you can use for rooftop waterproofing.
Why Is It Important to Waterproof Rooftops?
- Waterproofing your roof will give you shelter from climatic variations
- It protects your interiors from water damage due to rain, humidity, etc.
- It gives you privacy and allows the safe storage of your possessions
What Are Some of The Reasons Why Rooftops Leak and Why Waterproofing Them Is Required?
- Due to thermal variation
- Due to rusting of steel
- Due to the crack in the transition zone
- Due to structural stresses
Here Are Some of The Techniques of Rooftop Waterproofing:
- Paint waterproofing consists of waterproofing your roof with paints, emulsions or polymer coatings. There is a coating of 1 to 1 and a half inches of the waterproof layer. This paint waterproof can be applied by hand or it can be sprayed on. This sort of waterproofing lasts for about five years.
- Coating waterproofing is becoming increasingly popular as a choice of rooftop waterproofing. You can either opt for hot mastics or cold mastics. This kind of waterproofing layer forms a coating of 0.5 inches, and it last for about 20 years. Mastic waterproofing can be considered the most flexible type of waterproofing as it can be applied on a variety of materials such as concrete, metal, wood, etc.
- Liquid membrane waterproofing involves a method in which a thin coating of primer coating and top coating is applied to a rooftop using a roller, spray or a trowel. This type of waterproof coating is extremely flexible and provides great utility. Depending on the kind of polymer used in the manufacture of the liquid coating, the durability may vary.
- Polymeric membranes are one of the latest technologies in waterproofing of rooftops. This method uses PVC membranes, PDM diffuse membranes and diffuse membranes. These types of membranes are extremely flexible and can be applied for any type of roof material. The lifespan of these membranes are up to 25 years, and they are extremely safe and environment friendly. They have several advantages, and are budget friendly as well, making them one of the best choices for waterproofing.
- Bituminous waterproofing method, also known as asphalt coating, is a very common method of waterproofing rooftops. This type of waterproof coating is extremely flexible. It is especially great for concrete roofs, providing immense waterproofing solutions. The amount of polymer added to the bitumen during manufacture can greatly alter the value of the coating. The more the polymer content, the more flexible the finished product will it be.
- Bituminous membrane waterproofing method is a type of layer which is self-adhesive. However, the life of this type of coating is not very great, as the self-adhesive nature of the coating can wear off easily. You can choose from two types of torch on membranes- exposed and covered types.
- Polyurethane liquid membrane waterproofing is one of the most flexible options available; however, it is very expensive as well. When applied to rooftops, this membrane can offer a higher amount of protection and waterproofing from weathering.
These are some of the different methods that you can use for waterproofing your rooftops. While it is possible to do some of them yourselves, most will require some professional assistance. The life span of different methods and materials of waterproofing rooftop can vary.