Retaining Walls to a house is what armour is to a soldier. It not only serves the purpose of marking a boundary of the house effectively but also looks formidable enough to give the appearance of a protective shield. It cannot look like ugly hulk and protect the structure neither can it look impressive and be too fragile to serve its original purpose. Its purpose is to retain the soil behind it so that the soil does not erode in more natural slopes instead of remaining in the original shape as planned.
Be it a residential project or a commercial one, retaining walls have aesthetic value as well as structural use making sure that the landscape attains stability in both commercial and residential projects. The Rockwall Creations builders Brisbane a landmass behind it often used for creating boundaries or garden-landscape for various purposes. It ensures that –
- The soil doesn’t erode naturally or wash away with rainfall causing loss of landmass in property.
- Provides scaffolding to landscape of the property, be it commercial or residential, especially if it is built on a slope, encompassing and ensuring structural stability.
- Adds to the visual appeal of the property by mimicking the look of a natural hill within and surrounding the property.
- Types of Retaining Wall:
There are several types of retaining walls and techniques available in the market depending on the user preference. They are-
- Gravity Wall- made of stone, concrete or other heavy construction material, these walls rely on leaning back towards the contained landscape to resist pressure provide stability
- Anchored Wall- cables or other support materials are driven to support the rock or soil behind the retaining wall concrete sleepers which is then strengthened with reinforced concrete material and the likes of it.
- Cantilever Wall – made from internal stem of reinforced steel and concrete cast, this type of wall uses less material compared to the other types of reinforced walls. Structurally they can convert horizontal pressure to vertical pressure on the ground below it, making it a popular method. Piling Wall- sheet piling walls are used mostly where the construction has tight space or loose and soft soil. In this method wood, steel or vinyl sheets are inserted into the ground and a tie-back anchor is then attached behind it to secure the footing and provide better support to the landscaping behind
- Materials used in Making retaining Walls:
Depending on the preference of the user, there are various options available to choose from while building the retaining walls of your choice, for your commercial or residential landscaping. The materials range from Natural Stones to Decorative blocks.
- Perks and Benefits:
Designing and including retaining walls in your commercial or residential landscaping has many benefits and is one of the aesthetically appealing landscaping options that are fast-gaining popularity. Among its many virtues it is-
- Easy to install and cost effective as the materials used in it are made with mostly easy-available durable material such as wood, steel, concrete and so on.
- Retaining walls provide stability to the commercial and/or residential landscape as it provides a stable centre of gravity during its construction which results in retaining and improving the stability of the soil it is meant to protect.
- Durability is another feature that can be obtained by opting for retaining walls for your landscape. Solid walls made out of various materials are often observed to be the choice of the consumer as it provides high durability against accidental debris resulting from flood, erosion or other mishaps.
Apart from the above-mentioned benefits retaining walls are highly functional, eco-friendly, durable, low maintenance, and offers a wide variety of choices in material, colour and styling and improved the trend factor of the property