If you use a wireless router there are great chances that one day you will have to use its default IP address to access the router’s settings. This IP address is basically an Internet Protocol assigned to the router by its manufacturer to make the router login easy for the end user. If you are working on a Windows based machine, the default IP is the same as the Default Gateway. If you are a MAC user then it is known as a router IP address. So if you need to know what is your router IP address then you can follow the next few steps and find it on your own.
As we have said before the default Gateway is the same as the router’s IP. There is a simple command (ipconfig) which can be typed in the Command prompt and it will reveal the default gateway i.e. the router default IP address.
If you think the Control Panel is too much for you, you can try the following way.
- Open the Control Panel. You can do this by right-clicking the Start button and selecting the Control Panel from the menu.
- Then under Network and Internet you have to View Network status and tasks
- When you click your network name on the right you will have to select Details and there you will see the router IP address listed asIPv4 default gateway.
If you are a Linux user you will have to find the router IP address in another way. There is usually a Network icon on the Linux desktop. Click on it and then click the connection information option. There you will see the router IP address next to the default router or gateway.
Mac OS X and:
- If you use Mac OS X, locate the Apple icon in the menu and select System Preferences options
- Then click on the Network icon
- After that select the network you use
- Click on Advanced.
- Next, head to the TCP/IP tab. There you will see the default router address.
In case you are a Chromebook user take a look at the right side of the taskbar and click the Notification area. Next click on “Connected to…” and click the Wi-Fi network name you are connected to. Then click the Network tab and you will see the router IP address.
How to find the default IP address on a mobile phone
The number of mobile devices used to access the internet is increasing every day. Here is how you can find the default router IP address using your mobile phone or tablet.
Although the Android operating system doesn’t give a way to find the default IP address of your router, there are some apps which can easily solve this problem. For example any Wi-Fi analyzer application will do the job. All you have to do is to tap the menu and select the current network from the list. You will have a complete network information in front of your eyes.
iPhone and iPad
The popularity of Apple products like iPhones and iPads is not decreasing since more and more people are willing to enjoy the ease of use of the equipment produced by this famous brand.
- All you have to do is to click on the Settings app, and then tap on Wi-Fi in the menu.
- Then tap on the blue circle on the right of the network name you are connected to.
- You will see some network related information and the one you are looking for is Router.
Generally this IP address is either 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 but there are others too.