India is one of the fastest growing economies in the world at this point. A huge number of people are only just coming in contact with the internet of things. When you have rising trend in a country of 1.2 billion people, it does not take too much time to get really big. A lot of enterprises are waking up to the fact that analytics can completely change their fortunes after web giants like Facebook, Amazon, Flipkart, have used analytics with utmost dexterity to reach the top of their game.
Being at the top of the game is exactly what every company wants to do and the application of advanced analytics has come up as the most popular and reasonable way to do so, hence we can expect almost an upheaval in the Indian job market with vacant data science positions. And with Harvard Business Review naming Data scientist the sexiest job of the 21st century, you surely want to have a go in this lucrative and challenging trade. The first thing you need to have is a keen love for math and an analytical brain; the second thing is proper training. There is no lack of data science courses in India but there is a lack of awareness about various roles and different tools. So, if you do want to find a career in data science you need to be clear on some points to get started.
- Learn about the data science industry and its dynamics in India; basically to get an idea of the different fields of work that employ data scientists.
- Learn about the basic technologies that run the whole data science engine. Just read up some fundamental articles on the functionalities of machine learning; statistical analysis, languages like R, SAS, Python; data visualization, HDFS. As you go on to read you will surely discover more things to learn about.
- Now, that you have a somewhat basic idea about the different factions of technology that come into play, you will know which way you should go or what will probably suit you.
- Talk to people who are active in the industry and try to learn from them the real time matrix of the line of work you are opting for.
After you know what to pursue you need to find a suitable guide. There are good many academies that provide excellent data science courses in India. Talking to a senior or reading reviews can help you narrow down the list of institutes. After you have picked a few promising training facilities you should check certain qualities in each of them like
- Flexible timings and demonstration of top notch material
- Trainers should be active in the industry.
- The course should offer industry exposure and real time projects.
- Presence of an active community of pass outs.
Go ahead and keep these things in mind. Keep your eyes open for opportunities to learn and upgrade – a great career awaits you.