Merchant Navy Career is a career for Hero’s who takes giant ships from one country to another, career with full of adventure, travel around the world on Company Expense with high PayScale and totally Tax Free. Merchant Navy Transport tons of goods and became backbone of International Trade. The Uniform is also a key attraction for youngster to make a rewarding career and be a part of national prosperity.
Merchant navy is a group of ships sailing together that is responsible for transporting heavy goods as a part of exporting or importing from one country to another. It is one of the important parts of international trade as most of the import and export is done through ships. In simple words, the businesses across the world from companies to countries depend on the shipping industry directly or indirectly.
Merchant navy is a place where the blend of a well-structured job profile with a good remuneration is offered. It can truly be considered as the backbone of the international trade, transporting goods across the globe. Apart from that merchant navy ships engage a multitude worker not only for carrying but also for delivering cargo from one country to another.
So, this industry requires qualified professionals to function smoothly. Maritime courses will train and prepare students to take on various roles in the shipping industry. One can join Merchant Navy starting after class 10 to graduation.
Eligibility Criteria for various merchant navy courses:
- Minimum Qualification Required for joining merchant navy courses is 10th (High School) with any stream.
- Clear and Normal vision is required but glasses up to plus or minus 2.5 will be accepted.
- Minimum required height is 5 feet
- Age limit is 17-27 years for most of the courses.
- Admission is through an entrance followed by a screening test and a main written examination.
- After clearing the test, there is an interview and a medical test.
- Minimum Marks Required: 55% to 70% (which varies from college to college)
- Physical fitness is the most important and cannot be ignored for a career in merchant navy.
These are the various job profiles under merchant navy:
- P. Rating
- Trainee Cadet
- Deck Cadet
- 3rd Officer/ 2nd officer
- Chief Officer
In Merchant Navy, the salary can range between Rs.12000 to Rs.8 lakhs per month depending upon the job profile and seniority. however the salary structure may differ from company to company, area to area and the export-import needs, etc. All crew members and officers are offered free meals on board and senior officers can take along their wives for the voyage.
Are you the one who want to explore the world around you? If yes, then merchant navy will the best profession for you.
If you would like to pursue a career in Merchant Navy then the following institutes are the best Maritime training institute in India to consider:
- Delhi Maritime Academy, Delhi
- Offshore Shipping Academy, Agra
- Chidambaram Institute of Maritime Technology, Chennai
- Institute of Maritime Studies, Goa
- Samundra Institute of Maritime Studies, Mumbai
- International Maritime Institute (IMI), Delhi
- Oceanic Maritime Academy, Dehradun
- Seascan Marine Services Pvt Ltd, Goa
- Cochin Shipyard Limited, Kochi
- Institute of Technology & Marine Engineering (ITME), Kolkata
- Noorul Islam University, Kanyakumari
- Anglo Eastern Maritime Training Centre, Mumbai
- Fosma Maritime Institute and Research Organization, New Delhi
- Orissa Maritime Academy, Paradip
- Great Eastern Institute of Maritime Studies, Pune
- Commander Ali’s Academy of Merchant Navy, Secunderabad
- Asha International Institute of Marine Technology, Varanasi
- Baba Marine Institute, Thane
- Tamilnadu Maritime Academy, Thoothukudi
- Maritime Training Institute Tuticorin Campus, Tuticorin