The Hon’ble Road Transport and Highway Minister of India, Shri Nitin Gadkari, recently announced that FASTags would become compulsory for every motor vehicle in India from 15th December 2019.
FASTag is a government initiative introduced in 2014. It is a Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) tag which enables drivers to pay the toll fees at booths electronically. These payments would take place with the use of readers which would be installed at toll plazas. The readers would process tags and deduct the applicable toll fees while vehicles are mobile.
FASTag cards are supposed to be affixed at the top middle of a vehicle’s windshield. A single tag can be bought and registered with one vehicle only. These tags are linked with an individual’s prepaid or savings or current account. Currently, 22 authorised financial institutions are providing FASTags. These tags can be purchased from any of these financial institutions at the same terms.
How to purchase a FASTag card?
The 22 financial institutions have collectively set up more than 28,000 point-of-sales from where you can purchase FASTag offline. You can also decide to purchase FASTag in India online.
1. Offline process
To get a FASTag, you can visit your nearest point-of-sale terminals. To purchase offline, you need to carry your KYC documents which include Aadhaar card, PAN card, driving license, etc. You also need to carry your vehicle’s Registration Certificate (RC) for verification. You will be given an application form where you need to provide your personal details such as your name, phone number, etc. You can visit any POS terminal irrespective of whether you have existing ties with such financial institution. You also need to pay an issuance fee when you apply for a FASTag. The government has capped the maximum issuance fee at Rs. 200.
2. Online process
You can purchase a FASTag card online, either through issuing institutions’ official websites or mobile applications. In the case of official websites, note the following steps –
- Visit the official website of any of the 22 authorised institutions.
- Search “Get FASTag” or “Apply for FASTag” on the homepage and click on the displayed result.
- Enter your number and generate an OTP.
- Provide the OTP and click on “Submit.”
- In the next page, furnish your personal details as asked in the application form.
- Upload the necessary documents.
After you have duly completed the application process, you will be directed to the payment portal.
How to activate a FASTag card?
Once you have purchased the physical card, you can activate it through the My FASTag app from Play Store or App Store. Upon installing the app, you need to provide the details of your vehicle, such as its type, registration number, etc.
Following it, you will need to link your card with a savings/current account or a prepaid account. From thereon, FASTag payments for that particular vehicle will be deducted from the linked account. You can also use the NHAI wallet available in the app as your payment source. In that case, you will need to recharge the wallet accordingly.
Additional Read: Here’s Everything You Need To Know About FASTag
Advantages of FASTag programme
The FASTag programme is mandated, keeping in perspective several conveniences for consumers as well as the state. These are –
- FASTag in India would reduce the time spent by vehicles at toll plazas.
- It would centralise the toll fee collection and allow the government to audit their revenues from toll plazas better.
- It would reduce fuel consumption as well as the operating costs of a vehicle as there would be a significantly low waiting period at toll booths.
- It would help curb air pollution.
- Individuals are entitled to avail cashbacks of up to 2.5% when they make their FASTag payment.
A FASTag card is a crucial reform for individuals plying on highways. It will not only save time but also make covering long distances more convenient without the need to stop at toll plazas.